Important and urgent information for all residents in the Devizes Consituency! If you only do 1 thing today, do this!
The Electoral Boundary Commission has proposed changes for 2023 that will split Devizes into 3 different constituencies.
The East Wiltshire Constituency will include Amesbury and part of Devizes together with two Swindon wards. This will eliminate parliamentary representation for Devizes as the historic and central market town of Wiltshire. The Lavingtons will be on the extreme west of an area consisting of Amesbury, Tidworth, Pewsey, Marlborough, Ridgeway and Wroughton; separated from Devizes.
These proposed boundary changes affect ALL residents in the Devizes Constituency.
Urgent Action is needed by August 2nd 2021 if you would like this proposal reviewed!
All who care about Devizes should be campaigning to keep the existing Devizes Constituency and not let it be split into 3 constituencies.
We can prevent this happening by making representations to the Boundary Commission by August 2nd 2021. The Devizes Constituency will then qualify for a review of the current plans. While we do not have time to come up with an alternative configuration before the deadline, with enough signatures, we can delay a final decision for at least six months.
Here are some points you may like to consider:
- Devizes lies at the centre of the county and is its most historic market town
- The Lavingtons has a close relationship with Devizes, its nearest town. To split it into a different constituency and separate the two would harm the relationship
- The urban area of Devizes should not be split between three different constituencies, which is what the Boundary Commission currently propose
- Most of Roundway parish is part of the urban area of Devizes and should be in the same constituency as the rest of Devizes
- The Horton Road area of Bishops Cannings parish is part of the urban area of Devizes and should be kept with the rest of Devizes
- The outlying villages to the west and south-west of Devizes (i.e Seend, Potterne, Poulshot, Worton, Marston, Erlestoke and Coulston) should be kept with the rest of Devizes
- Amesbury should not be included in the same constituency with the Devizes villages and Marlborough area, as it is the opposite side of the Salisbury Plain to the majority in the proposed constituency and has no obvious connection with it
- The proposed new Swindon wards are not a natural fit with our local community
- If Devizes must be put in a new constituency – it should be named ‘Devizes and Melksham Constituency’ as Devizes is the more significant market town
- If Devizes must be removed from the current Devizes county constituency – the remaining constituency should be called Kennet Constituency, rather than East Wiltshire Constituency as many of the villages are actually nearer to the western than eastern boundary of Wiltshire